Our client has been brewing beer since 1875 and in addition to the brew house, they operate a large number of pubs selling their own brands. The impressive brewery site combines a tradition of craft with modern production techniques and systems. They are now looking to recruit a Head Brewer reporting to the head of Brewery Operations. He/she will manage a small brewery team. The successful candidate will also be a key advocate of the business and brands. In collaboration with the Head of Brewery Operations, they will develop and deliver BEST leadership that empowers and engages the team to deliver improved performance that supports the Company’s BEST strategy, driving deliverables by strategically managing the brewing process to ensure quality, legal and beer safety standards are met and cost parameters are achieved.
- In collaboration with the Marketing team, be the ‘face’ of the Brewery and the beer brands by spearheading ‘Meet the Head Brewer’ events in the Brewery’s pubs and at other appropriate venues in order to promote the brands
- Take a leadership role in the New Product Development team, working on new recipes for seasonal and specialty beers, ensuring they appeal to a certain market or will enhance sales at a specific time of the year and, above all, fit with the Company’s strategic plan
- In collaboration with the Beer Brand Marketing team, design beer labels and marketing collateral
- Research and implement new or different methods of brewing which optimise the efficiency of plant and people
- Agree product specifications with 2nd Brewer
- Ensure that product quality, safety and legality is complied with via the Quality Management System
- Ensure that all staff are trained to carry out operations as per operating procedures including the completion of process records
- Ensure raw materials, production stage timings and quality checks are accurately recorded
- Ensure all equipment is cleaned and fully maintained to the appropriate standards
- Monitor analytical results and consult with the laboratory team, adjust brewing parameters to maintain product within specification.
- Member of ‘Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points’ (HACCP) team
- Develop the Brewery team to ensure there is an automatic succession plan over time
- Hold regular reviews with direct reports, assessing any training gaps; work with HR to develop training interventions to enhance current and future skills
- Conduct briefing and training sessions with team members as appropriate
- Manage own and team’s day-to-day activities to achieve targets, working in a proactive way to advance team and Company goals
- In collaboration with the Company Purchasing Manager, review existing suppliers and source new suppliers as appropriate so that the best price is achieved
- Managing resources and staff to meet objectives
- Plan budgets, keeping track of stock and records of raw materials
Skills, experience and attributes:
- A degree in applied chemistry; biological science; chemical, process or mechanical engineering; food science or technology; microbiology or, in the absence of a first degree, a postgraduate qualification in brewing and distilling; brewing science; brewing principles and practice; brewing and packaging
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience working for a national brewer, regional or large micro. Must have an in-depth knowledge of brew house, fermentation, cask, keg and small pack
- Strategic thinking, problem-solving and influencing skills
- General management, business awareness and decision-making skills
- Excellent collaboration skills with the ability to relate to people at all levels in the organisation
- A natural team-player who motivates and inspires people by deploying highly-developed leadership skills
- Creativity and innovation
- A genuine, charismatic brewing figurehead who inspires trust from a diverse team of people operating in different parts of the brewing process and who is outgoing, enjoying the ‘PR’ side of the role
This is an exciting opportunity to support the Head of Brewery Operations in effectively leading the Brewery team, ensuring that their beer brands become the iconic beers in the South West.
Applications from candidates eligible to work in the UK only.
For more information please contact Tricia Tappin at The Carling Partnership
Telephone: + 44 1483 893 100.