THOUGHT PIECE the carling team
Brewery Sales and Marketing Manager Job Description
The main objective of a sales and marketing manager is to ensure that a brewery’s sales goals are met. They achieve this objective by creating highly detailed marketing strategies and sales plans. They are also responsible for organising advertising campaigns, managing sales staff, organising promotional events and discovering new sales opportunities.
They are often considered the “brand ambassador” of a brewery. Their extensive sales and marketing experience allows them to promote the brewery’s brands in the best ways possible.
The sales and marketing manager will usually be responsible for advertising, promotions and marketing budgets. They will develop various sales and marketing campaigns with a keen eye on the budget and return on investment.
The role involves the supervision of a variety of staff in the brewery including sales executives, events managers, marketing staff and logistics staff. They will also interact with various external service providers including advertising agencies and various consultants.
Sales and Marketing Manager — Responsibilities
The key responsibilities for a brewery sales and marketing manager include:
- Develop a sales plan for the brewery’s products – They must develop a comprehensive sales plan with: marketing strategies for each product line, customer demographic analysis, sales forecasts, and growth strategies. The sales plan will also examine pricing structure, revenue goals, sales locations, customer retention strategies, advertising avenues, and sales team activities.
- Create a sales strategy for the brewery – The sales strategy will explain the best way to position the brewery’s brand in the market.
- Create sales forecasts – The sales and marketing manager must create and distribute sales forecasts to the other departments within the brewery. This allows the brewery to adjust production levels and organise logistics.
- Manage sales and promotional events – The brewery will occasionally run sales and promotional events in-house or at trade shows. The sales and marketing manager must ensure these events are well-run and promote the brewery in the best way possible.
- Develop relationships with key customers – Relationships are very important in the brewing industry. The sales and marketing manager must develop relationships with key customers to sell more products and ensure they remain happy.
- Analyse customer demographics and market trends – The sales and marketing manager will analyse the demographics of both current and prospective customers. This information will be used for developing market strategies and new products. They will also analyse market trends to identify which kinds of products will be popular in the future.
- Research competitors – Competitor knowledge helps the brewery to develop products that are correctly promoted and priced to succeed in the marketplace. The sales and marketing manager must investigate and analyse competitors to identify new sales opportunities for the brewery.
- Present sales reports to management – They must present sales and marketing reports to upper management. These reports will range from marketing plans through to detailed sales analysis reports.
- Design and distribute marketing materials – They will work in conjunction with the sales and marketing teams to produce advertising and marketing materials. The sales and marketing manager may also be required to work with third party advertising agencies. Once a plan for promotional materials has been developed, they must ensure it is correctly executed.
- Supervise other staff – The sales and marketing manager works closely with the sales and marketing team at the brewery. They must ensure that the staff is working productively to generate sales and develop marketing strategies.
They should have a Bachelor’s degree in marketing or business. Ideally, they will have a qualification relating to the brewing industry.
- Ideally, the sales and marketing manager will have:
- Experience in managing people – The sales and marketing manager must have experience in organising a team, delegating responsibility and assigning staff to roles.
- Experience in planning marketing campaigns – Previous experience in creating marketing campaigns from planning through to implementation.
- Sales experience – They should be an experienced sales executive who has worked at many different levels in the food and beverage industry.
- Sales report experience – A great deal of the sales and marketing manager’s time is spent preparing sales reports, researching markets and analysing customer Experience in the beer industry – They should have a number of years working in the industry and a thorough understanding of how to market and sell beer.
- Very high-level written and communication skills
- Public speaking skills
- Very personable and capable of persuading people
- Excellent sales and negotiation skills
- Team management and leadership skills, ability to motivate staff
- An innovative and creative person
- High level IT and report preparation skills
- Ability to work under pressure
Looking for a Brewing Process Engineer role? View our latest roles in the beer and brewing industry.
What is the goal of a sales and marketing manager in a brewery?
The sales and marketing manager aims to meet the brewery’s sales objectives through developing detailed marketing strategies and sales plans. They are also tasked with organising campaigns, managing sales personnel, coordinating promotional events, and exploring new sales opportunities to promote the brewery’s brands effectively.
What key responsibilities does a brewery sales and marketing manager have?
Their key responsibilities include formulating a comprehensive sales plan, crafting sales strategies, generating sales forecasts, managing sales and promotional events, nurturing relationships with crucial customers, analysing customer demographics and market trends, researching competitors, presenting sales reports to management, and creating and overseeing the execution of marketing materials.
What educational qualifications are required for the role of a sales and marketing manager in the brewery industry?
A sales and marketing manager in this field should possess a Bachelor’s degree in marketing or business, with an ideal background in brewing-related qualifications to tailor their marketing strategies effectively to the industry.
What type of experience is ideal for a sales and marketing manager in a brewery?
The ideal candidate would have experience managing teams, planning and executing marketing campaigns, proven sales expertise, experience with sales reporting and market analysis, and significant industry experience with an in-depth understanding of beer marketing and sales.
What skills should a sales and marketing manager in the brewery industry possess?
They should have excellent written and verbal communication abilities, public speaking proficiency, persuasive skills, superior sales and negotiation capabilities, team leadership, and the ability to motivate staff. Additionally, creativity, advanced IT and report preparation expertise, and the capacity to perform well under pressure are essential skills for this role.