THOUGHT PIECE the carling team
Brewing Production Manager Job Description
The brewing production manager is responsible for the planning and coordination of the entire brewing process. To perform this role they must manage staff, schedule beer production runs, ensure adequate raw materials are available, and make sure that the brewery’s equipment is working correctly.
They will also oversee production, supervise beer packaging, maintain a safe work environment, schedule maintenance work and much more. The brewing production manager will work closely with the executive management team and head brewer to ensure that the brewing process remains consistent and that beer production goals are met.
This is a key role at the brewery and one that carries a lot of responsibility. They must ensure that the brewery produces high-quality beer — on-time and on-budget.
Brewing Production Manager Responsibilities
The brewing production manager has wide-reaching responsibilities that bring them into contact with virtually every department and employee in the brewery. Their responsibilities include:
- Supervise brewing production from start to finish
The brewing production manager will oversee every aspect of the production process, from the acquisition and processing of raw materials to the bottling and dispatch of the finished product. When a problem occurs with a production process, they are usually the first point of contact.
- Create brewing, filtration and bottling schedules
They must create schedules so all stages of the brewing process are performed on time and production targets are met. They must ensure that beers are produced to a schedule that maximises the efficiency of the brewery and its staff.
- Work with the head brewer to formulate recipes and ensure quality is maintained
The beer production manager will work closely with the head brewer to formulate recipes for large-scale production runs and ensure those recipes are correctly followed. They will be involved with the quality assurance process and play a significant role in ensuring the brewery continues to make great beer.
- Help to create a realistic budget for beer production and monitor that budget
They will help management create an appropriate budget for beer production runs, then take the steps necessary to ensure the budget is met during production runs.
- Coordinate beer movements throughout the brewery
They are responsible for moving beer throughout the brewery and making changes based on any issues that occur. Those issues could include changes to production goals, issues with raw materials, or mechanical issues.
- Work with materials suppliers
The brewing production manager will be involved with suppliers of raw materials for brewing beer, packaging suppliers, and brewing equipment suppliers. They must maintain good working relationships with these companies and individuals.
- Ensure beer remains high-quality
They attend daily and weekly tastings to test the quality of the beer being produced. They may also work with laboratory staff to evaluate chemical composition analysis of the beers being created and raw materials being used.
- Continually improve production processes and the quality of beer
The brewing production manager must adopt a philosophy of continual improvement. They will constantly look for ways to brew beer more efficiently and increase the quality of the finished product. They will also troubleshoot any problems that occur in the brewing process.
- Work with the management team to forecast brewery costs
They must develop an estimate for future brewery production costs, which is presented to upper management.
- Make sure that the brewery staff understands their roles
The brewing production manager will supervise staff and make sure they are performing their roles adequately.They will also develop training and mentorship programs at the brewery to improve the skills of workers.
- Enforce occupational health and safety standards
They must ensure the brewery is a safe place to work and they play a role in enforcing safety standards on the production line. The beer production manager will also perform safety audits and ensure that anyone visiting the brewery does so safely.
- Ensure the brewery is extremely clean and complies with food regulations
The brewery production manager will be very vigilant when it comes to workplace hygiene. They must ensure that all machinery is correctly maintained and sanitised after use.
The brewery production manager will typically have:
- A formal brewing qualification (IBD diploma or equivalent)
- A management qualification or the equivalent experience
- Ideally, they will have a Bachelor’s degree in food production, chemistry, biology, business, engineering or business.
- Knowledge of OSHA and safety standards
- Knowledge of government regulatory programs and HACCP
- A significant amount of experience managing a brewery production line (5 or more years)
- A demonstrated ability to drive improvement and innovation at a brewery
- Experience in managing a team
- Experience running a production line and implementing quality assurance schemes
- Proven ability to use best practice manufacturing techniques to improve a brewery
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- IT skills
- Excellent leadership skills, the ability to motivate a team and to maintain positive morale in the workplace
- Personable, approachable and pleasant demeanour
- Strong knowledge of brewing practices and different beers
- Strong understanding of process controls
- Planning and organisational skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong work ethic and the ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Physically fit and able to work in a demanding environment
Looking for Brewing Production role? View our latest roles in the beer and brewing industry.
Image by Wikipedia, free to use under CC License.