THOUGHT PIECE the carling team
Wine Sales Executive Job Description
A wine sales executive performs sales and marketing tasks with the overall objective of improving wine sales. They will work in conjunction with other sales and marketing staff to increase the market share of wineries products, increasing overall profit.
They will promote the wineries brand within the marketplace to improve brand recognition and brand equity. They will work at all levels of the distribution chain, including retail, distribution and consumer level.
The wine sales executive will be involved in the planning of sales and marketing strategies. In some wineries, they will supervise junior sales staff and provide ongoing sales training.
This career is a good fit for someone who is passionate about wine and has strong sales skills. To do well in this career a wine sales executive will also need solid organisational skills, experience in the industry and advanced knowledge of wines. The role usually involves a great deal of travel, selling the wineries products to clients in a variety of locations.
Wine Sales Executive Responsibilities
While the key focus of a wine sales executive is to sell wine, their responsibilities can be wide ranging. They typically include:
- Develop and implement sales strategies
The wine sales executive will help develop sales strategies for each brand that the winery produces. They will then work with the sales team to ensure that these strategies are correctly implemented. They will help the sales team achieve the expected goals for each strategy including sales targets, customer service levels, and overall profits.
- Update clients on new product launches
Should the winery launch a new product, it is the responsibility of the wine sales executive to ensure customers know about it. They will promote the new product in a way that maximises exposure for the brand.
- Create an annual sales plan
The annual sales plan will deliver an overview of how and when products will be promoted in the market. The plan will detail key objectives and explain how brand sales strategies will meet them.
- Identify new clients for the wineries products
The wine sales executive will research the market to discover new clients who may be interested in the products that the winery produces. Then, working in conjunction with the sales and marketing team, they will develop a plan for approaching those potential new clients.
- Conduct staff training programs
Wine training programs are an important part of the wine sales executive’s position. They will pass on their extensive knowledge about wine and the wineries products to the staff in training seminars.
- Organise wine deliveries for special events
The wine sales executive will occasionally run promotional events for the winery. They must organise the delivery of these wines and ensure that the winery is well represented at the event.
- Keep the sales team informed about changes to products
They are responsible for ensuring the rest of the sales team understand the current products which the winery is selling. Because wines change with each vintage, the wine sales executive will have to update staff on the qualities of the most recent products.
- Analyse market trends and identify opportunities
The wine sales executive will use their vast knowledge of the wine industry to identify new sales opportunities for the winery. That may be a new product line which matches consumer preferences or a new advertising campaign to reach a certain demographic.
- Help to develop marketing strategies
They must work closely with the wine marketing manager to develop successful wine marketing strategies. Their knowledge of the wine market and customer demographic will be key to producing a successful campaign.
- Implement marketing strategies
Once the marketing strategy has been developed, the wine sales executive works closely with both sales and marketing staff to implement it correctly. This usually involves organising a promotional calendar, advertising campaign, and special events throughout the year.
- Conduct special events for the winery
The wine sales executive will organise special events like wine tastings.
- Conduct wine sales analysis
They must understand sales trends in the market and how the wineries current products are performing, given those trends. The wine sales executive will create action plans based on their sales analysis.
- Coordinate with the logistic team to ensure an adequate supply of wine
They will work in conjunction with the logistics team to ensure there is enough stock available to meet sales forecasts and special events.
- Perform all wine sales with respect to applicable laws
The wine sales executive must be aware of liquor sales laws in the jurisdictions in which they are operating.
- Be the face of the company at trade events
The wine sales executive will represent the winery at many trade events. Their knowledge of wine and presentation of the brand must be of the highest standard.
- Support clients
They may have to provide support to consumers of the wineries products occasionally
- Provide training to sales staff
They must pass on any successful sales or marketing techniques to other sales staff and encourage a culture of success.
A wine sales executive should have completed a qualification for wine tasting, production or sales — typically a WSET, VESTA or sommelier qualification.
- A minimum of 3-5 years sales experience in the wine industry
- Experience providing training and giving presentations
- Ideally, some experience in a marketing role
- Ideally, some experience in a leadership role
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- Sales skills and the ability to influence people
- A people person who can build strong relationships with people in the industry
- Good at leading a team and working within a team
- Very strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good computer skills
- Analytical skills and ability to translate complex sales reports into meaningful business knowledge
- Passionate and knowledgeable about wine
The Carling Partnership offers a range of specialist jobs for a wide range of companies exclusively in the wine drinks industry.