Scotland, UK ref: 1573
Award-winning whisky makers celebrating 175 years, our client proudly produces exceptional whiskies and premium spirits at five distilleries across Scotland. They are now looking to recruit a Head of Engineering – Distilling to lead the engineering function to deliver both maintenance excellence and engineering change across the five distilling sites.
The Head of Engineering – Distilling is a key role in the distilling leadership team. You will lead the engineering function to deliver both maintenance excellence and engineering change across the five distilling sites. Developing people, plant and processes to increase availability and reduce breakdowns using world class manufacturing tools & techniques. Managing the 5-year capex project plan to ensure funding and correct project engineering resource is available to deliver each of the projects to improve our assets and support the production teams in meeting their objectives. The role will require working with a wider team and the competent authority to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation and statutory compliance for our five distillery sites, one upper tier and four lower tier COMAH.
Key result areas:
Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality
• Ensure the Health and Safety of the department is maintained to a high standard to deliver accident and incident free sites.
• Ensure the 5 distilling sites achieve 100% engineering compliance with statutory HSE requirements.
• Assist in the development of the COMAH safety report and ensure compliance with the engineering requirements in it.
• Develop and improve the sites Sustainability performance for Carbon Neutral by 2030, Water Stewardship and support the Agriculture and Biodiversity goals.
• Contribute to the develop the sites quality goals
• Develop and provide leadership on the function’s strategy
• Provide coaching, guidance and support to all members of the team
• Carry out appraisals and Personal Development Plans for all members of the team
• Develop partnership approach to working and supporting the 5 sites.
• Develop aligned strategic approach with Bottling and Supply Chain Engineering Manager
• Set out strategies for maintenance across the 5 sites working with key suppliers and contractors.
• Manage the preventative maintenance plan and its delivery across the 5 distilleries
• Ensure that engineering function supports the delivery of the performance goals of the distilleries.
• Develop systems for Focused Improvement with the Focused Improvement Manager, Engineering and Site Teams.
• Manage and improve stores management system across the sites
• Identify CAPEX projects and contribute to the 5 year outlook for the sites
• Manage projects from concept through design and procurement to delivery and commissioning
• Develop and build partnerships with key suppliers
• Cost Leadership to ensure sites are run at optimal levels for engineering and depreciation
• Develop the revenue and Capex budgets in line with 5 year plans
• Manage the revenue and Capex budget partnering with Site Management, Finance and Procurement.
• Focus on Utilities and maximising performance and utilising fit for purpose equipment.
• Identify and investigate areas for improvement and competitive advantage
Qualifications & Experience:
• Degree in Engineering (or relevant Science qualification)
• Experience of managing a multi – disciplined team.
• Health and Safety qualification such as NEBOSH preferred
• Experience in a FMCG or similar environment desirable
• Experience in designing and implementing Engineering Strategy
• Knowledge of Culture Transformation and building a winning team
• Knowledge of Health and Safety compliance and systems for how to improve
• Detailed understanding of engineering strategies and how to implement
• Knowledge of Project Management principles and techniques
• Lean Manufacturing understanding
• Relationship Building
• Coaching and High Performance Team Building experience
• Ability to Work in A Fast-Paced Environment in a growing business
• Managing Multiple Stakeholders and Competing Demands
• Focused Improvement mentality
• Team Builder
• Effective communicator
• Resilient & Humble
• Pro-active and driven
• Methodical and structured
Applications from candidates already eligible to work in the UK only please.
For more information, please contact Penny Zaloumis at The Carling Partnership Ltd,
Tel: +44 (0)1483 893100.
We will be pleased that you have dropped us line, we will look over your email and be in touch shortly