Scotland, UK ref: 1678
Fyne Ales is family-owned Scottish farm brewery. Since 2001, they have been brewing beers of the highest quality in a quiet corner of rural Scotland. Drawing water from the hills and brewing in converted farm buildings, they create modern, ambitious and progressive beers in a wide variety of styles.
They are looking to recruit a Head Brewer to lead a team of experienced and qualified brewers and a draft beer packaging and warehousing team. The right candidate will be looking to develop the roles of the whole team, be motivated to constantly improve the quality of the core beers and be ambitious with development of new beers and capabilities. An appetite for the challenges of leading a team in rural Argyll is also a must.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Lead Brew Team
• Report to Managing Director with responsibility for all aspects of brewing, packaging and warehouse operations at Fyne Ales.
• Lead team of 3 other qualified brewers, an assistant brewer and a packaging and warehouse team of 3.
• Overall responsibility for operations on modern, relatively automated, 65HL brewhouse and the Origins 16HL manual brewhouse. Draft packaging and small-scale hand bottling on site. Bulk small pack is contracted out currently.
• Oversee steady growth in production from current 12kHL per year to 30kHL per year over the next years.
• Introduce Small Pack operations in the future
• Part of Fyne Ales Management Team
• Report monthly on operations performance
• Quarterly management meetings to set the direction for the business
• Setting an ambitious beer development plan – the quality and range of beers that we produce is the core of our business and this role is fundamental to setting that.
• Lead the Brewing and Packaging and Warehousing teams
• Overall responsibility for Health & Safety in the breweries and product safety (Salsa + Beer).
• Overall responsibility for the quality of everything we produce, working closely with our Technical Brewer who is part of the brew team.
• Overall responsibility for ensuring that our production schedule meets the needs of the Sales and Marketing teams for range and quantities of products available, working closely with our Lead Brewer on the new brew plant and the Head of Origins Brewing on the Origins Brewhouse.
• Material selection – including visits to hop growers and maltsters as appropriate. Contract management and execution or oversight of purchasing and stock keeping.
• Ensuring Equipment Maintenance Schedules are kept up and all plant, including the Effluent Treatment Plant, is fully functional.
• Working with appropriate contractors to design, develop and implement solutions to meet brewery development goals.
• Brewing / cellaring / packaging work as part of the team as required
• Responsible for ensuring all record keeping and brewing operations are meticulous, detailed and accurate.
• Responsible for cost management throughout brewing and packaging operations – through management of input costs, brewhouse efficiencies, yields, and productivity
• Excellent brewer – probably Heriot Watt / IBD / similar trained, with at least 10 years production brewing experience
• Good team leader – confident communicator, keen to develop skills of whole team, comfortable delegating and getting the best out of a skilled team
• Great palate with sensory training, extensive experience of recipe and process development.
• Wide knowledge of the UK craft beer scene
• Disciplined and detail oriented
• Meticulous record keeper
• Makes things happen
• Motivated to drive constant improvement in the quality of our core range and be ambitious with our new beers and specials.
• Happy to work in a small business where we earn what we spend, so work with constrained resources over a multi-year plan.
• Up for living in rural Argyll or commuting from Glasgow or a local town.
• Full driving licence for life in Argyll
Applications from candidates already eligible to work in the UK only please.
For more information, please contact Laurence Rougeaux at The Carling Partnership Ltd,
email@example.com, tel +44 (0)1483 893100.
We will be pleased that you have dropped us line, we will look over your email and be in touch shortly